[DGD] How to stop an object from loading?

Par Winzell zell at skotos.net
Sun Mar 7 20:53:38 CET 2004

Michael,

> Without hacking on the kernel, beyond my slight changes...
> Is it possible to make an object error() if it hasn't defined a crucial
> variable? or if it hasn't called a crucial function?
> in this case it would be 'called_make'

Do you actually -need- this variable? In other words, do you need
objects to be able to decide at runtime if they are going to be rooms or
NPC's? If not -- why not have them inherit market objects that declare a
nomask function object_identity() or somesuch.

Then you can mask compile_object() in your second level auto object,
making it atomic, perform the ::compile_object(), test for the existence
of the marker function using function_object(), and if it is not there,
cause an error (which will roll back the compilation itself).

Zell