[DGD] getting started with DGD

Jeff Moore jeff at procata.com
Sat Mar 13 17:23:10 CET 2004

On Mar 13, 2004, at 7:12 AM, Felix A. Croes wrote:
> Either you have been reorganizing the kernel mudlib more than you've
> told us, or you have modified DGD, for neither the kernel mudlib nor
> DGD defines a connect() function.  Or do you perhaps mean
> connection()? :)

I did mean connection.  sorry about that.

> If so, I would appreciate it if you would run DGD inside gdb or a
> similar debugger, and post here where in the source code the error
> occurs (or better yet, the entire stack trace).

Ok, except as long as its been since I've done anything in LPC, its
been twice as long as that since I've done anything with a command line
debugger.  :)

>> Is it possible to listen to port 80 for an in game http server as well
>> as to listen for the telnet port?
>
> Yes, though unix won't let a non-root process listen on port 80.

Thats a wrinkle I hadn't thought of.  I wrote a little HTTP deamon
under MudOS and a TMI-2 mudlib around 95 that formated the in-game help
files and presented them as html pages.  I don't remember how I solved
this problem then.  I might have just listened on 8080.

>> How do you create functions that every object can call without an
>> explicit include or inherit without modifying the kernal auto object?
>
> You create a second-level auto object.  Check the posting called
> "Unknown kernel library features part 1" in the searchable mailing
> list archive, a link to which you can find on the main web page.

Thats a good message.  Thanks.