[DGD] Descartes?

Michael McKiel crashnbrn71 at yahoo.ca
Sat Mar 20 23:07:04 CET 2004

Descartes I believe is the owner/manager of imaginary.com? I was trying to
get a message off to him, sent to: mailman-owner at byzantium.imaginary.com
but that bounced. I believe I've seen him on here in the archives before, or
if anyone knows how to get ahold of him regarding a strange issue with the
imaginary.com server... msg was:

It would appear as though imaginary's firewall is dropping/refusing any
connection from linux that's been enabled with ECN support.
As a result anyone on linux with ECN enabled is unable to connect to
imaginary.com or subscribe to any of the lists...

Info while configuring ECN from linux:

 TCP Explicit Congestion Notification support
CONFIG_INET_ECN
  Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) allows routers to notify
  clients about network congestion, resulting in fewer dropped packets
  and increased network performance.  This option adds ECN support to
  the Linux kernel, as well as a sysctl (/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn)
  which allows ECN support to be disabled at runtime.

  Note that, on the Internet, there are many broken firewalls which
  refuse connections from ECN-enabled machines, and it may be a while
  before these firewalls are fixed.  Until then, to access a site
  behind such a firewall (some of which are major sites, at the time
  of this writing) you will have to disable this option, either by
  saying N now or by using the sysctl.

  If in doubt, say N.