[DGD] Re: casting nil (another idea...)

Par Winzell zell at skotos.net
Tue Mar 23 20:37:16 CET 2004

>> In fact, given my druthers, if (!foo) would not be true for zero foo's...

I'm saying the integer zero and the value nil do not really have that
much in common. The simplest counter-argument for somebody who wanted to
argue consistency would be, "Well, conditionals already treat zero and
nil the same." In other words,

     if (nil)

is identical to

     if (0)

in the language. So that's a pretty argument that zero is a natural
integer form of nil. And I'm saying I'd rather give the latter up than
be forced to adopt the former.

It's not a strongly held opinion, though. I wouldn't dislike the change
a lot. :)

Zell