[DGD] Design question about inheritance code

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Sat Mar 27 12:34:16 CET 2004

Steve Wooster <swooster at xprt.net> wrote:

>[...]
> 2. This idea is a bit more iffy... perhaps when an object/lib/etc is
> compiled, a copy of the source code is saved in memory somewhere. When a
> full update occurs (like if auto.c is being recompiled or something), the
> object is recompiled from the source code in memory rather than the file. I
> figured this might be good, because if you're messing with a currently
> loaded file, and unbeknownst to you, somebody updates auto.c or a lib file,
> the object will be recompiled with the version of the code loaded up in
> memory rather than the new experimental version on disk. On the other hand,
> I sort of think it might not really be necessary, and could use up a lot of
> extra space (I figure I'd keep the source-file info in lightweight objects,
> so I would only have the necessary source codes loaded up in memory for any
> given thread).

My mudlib does this.  It has two types of upgrades, one to upgrade from
the current source file, and one to upgrade using the source code that
the object was compiled from.  For example, suppose I am working on an
object B, editing the source code, and someone else upgrades object A
and everything that inherits from it, which includes object B.  If B
were to be recompiled from source code it might not even compile at
all.  In this case, B ought to be recompiled from the same source code
that it was originally compiled from, without disturbing my own work
on the current source code.

Another situation: suppose that different issues of B exist, compiled
from different versions of the source code.  Then I'd like to be able
to retrieve each of those versions to look at the differences between
them.