[DGD] A slight confusion about light-weight objects

Par Winzell zell at skotos.net
Mon Mar 29 17:53:29 CEST 2004

> "If the master object is itself a light-weight object, it will be copied."
>
> Now, I don't see how it would be possible for the master object to be a
> light-weight object. As generating a light-weight object means calling
> new_object, and the parameter only accepts object pointers, the only way
> to obtain a master object would be with compile_object, surely? And if
> that's the case, then the initial object is never a light-weight object,
> its just a plain old heavy one. Which kind of defeats the purpose of
> having lightweight objects since the first instance (the master) still
> needs to be destructed!

The doc goes:

NAME
         new_object - create a new light-weight object

SYNOPSIS
         object new_object(object master)

So, I think with 'master object', Felix means 'the object argument named
master'. This choice of name might be a little confusing.

The new_object() kfun will copy any LWO you send into it.

Zell