[DGD] post-analysis program acquisition

Robert Forshaw iouswuoibev at hotmail.com
Sat May 15 19:47:35 CEST 2004

I have a program daemon that monitors and remembers different revisions of
various programs. It distinguishes between various revisions using an md5
checksum, and stores the entire program in a string for restoration.

It seems inefficient to be storing a program based on its unparsed form. I
think it would be useful if it were possible to obtain the source code of a
program in a fundamental state that is still compilable, perhaps deriving it
from an already compiled object. This would provide two benefits: first, it
will save memory by having to store less data, and second, it will permit
you to change things like comments, without changing the code, and the
revision would be identified as the same, but if you change the actual code,
it will become a new revision.

Any thoughts?