[DGD] Question about overriding AUTO objects

Colin Ross c.ross at cantab.net
Mon Sep 6 18:03:49 CEST 2004

[snip]

> That perceptive person may have noticed that I'm logging which file
> gets inherited.  My log shows SoulD being successfully compiled, and
> inheriting the COMMON_AUTO version.  Then, the script AUTO file
> ("/usr/common/lib/script_auto.c") gets compiled (why?), and it says
> that it inherits from the common AUTO as well.

As I understand at, in order to inherit something, that something needs
to exist (i.e. be compiled).  So, if your SoulD inherits COMMON_AUTO,
and COMMON_AUTO does not currently exist, COMMON_AUTO will then be
compiled.  When it comes to the path_special() as part of this compilation,
it finds that it should also inherit COMMON_AUTO according to the structure
of your tests - and hence the evil cycle begins.

Of course, I don't even pretend to be an expert :)

Colin