[DGD] Solaris Compile Error

Jeromy Labit jeromylabit at comcast.net
Wed Sep 15 06:43:44 CEST 2004

  This is my first post to this list, so if I'm doing something incorrectly,
please let me know.  I didn't know where else to report problems.  I have
obtained a copy of the DGD source and patched it up to 1.2.93.  When I try
to compile it, I get:

gcc -I. -Icomp -Ilex -Ied -Iparser -Ikfun -DSOLARIS  -g -DDEBUG   -c -o
config.o config.c
In file included from config.c:18:
comp/parser.h:62: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
comp/parser.h:63: error: parse error before "yylval"
comp/parser.h:63: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
config.c: In function `conf_config':
config.c:750: error: request for member `number' in something not a
structure or union
config.c:751: error: request for member `number' in something not a
structure or union
config.c:758: error: request for member `number' in something not a
structure or union
config.c:764: error: request for member `number' in something not a
structure or union
config.c:769: error: request for member `number' in something not a
structure or union
config.c:859: error: request for member `number' in something not a
structure or union
config.c:859: error: request for member `number' in something not a
structure or union
config.c:863: error: request for member `number' in something not a
structure or union
make: *** [config.o] Error 1

  1.2.92 compiles just fine.  Here's some additional information:

  Solaris 9 08/03 (Patched Up)
  gcc 3.4.0
  byacc (Can't remember which version, but it's not the OS provided yacc)

  I don't have much experience playing with yacc, but I did notice that
something was changed in comp/parser.y in the 1.2.92-1.2.93 patch.  This
*may* have done something that causes the compile to fail on Solaris.  I
manually copied comp/parser.h from 1.2.92 into the 1.2.93 source tree and
everything *appears* to be working.  Here is a diff between the two
generated comp/parser.h files...

% diff dgd-1.2.93/src/comp/parser.h dgd-1.2.92/src/comp/parser.h 62c62,67 <
YYSTYPE;
---
> typedef union {
>     Int number;                       /* lex input */
>     xfloat real;              /* lex input */
>     unsigned short type;      /* internal */
>     struct _node_ *node;      /* internal */
> } YYSTYPE;

  Like I said, by manually copying the parser.h from 1.2.92, I got 1.2.93 to
compile, and it is running, but I really don't want to have to do this with
each new rev.  I'll try to provide more information if requested and/or
necessary.

  Thanks a million,

Jeromy