[DGD] DGD MP and a TLS idea

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Mon Apr 4 21:57:01 CEST 2005

Steve Wooster <sw_mlists at xprt.net> wrote:

>      The current version of the kernel isn't MP optimized, right? At least
> for version 1.2.86 (I think that's the version I have) it looks like
> call_outs are registered in a central daemon... Since I'm fiddling around
> with creating a mudlib from scratch (I'm only doing it for fun, not because
> I expect to actually get far on it), I was wondering if there's a good way
> to handle things like being able to pause call_outs that isn't effectively
> single-threaded.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.  But the MP version will simulate
a single-threaded succession of LPC execution rounds, so it's not going
to be any different for the mudlib programmer in that respect.

>      Also, for thread local storage, it occurred to me that the argument
> passed could be a mapping instead of an array... then you could have things
> like: (I forgot the exact code, so this probably won't work... but it
> should give you the general idea)
> Inside the auto object:
>
> static void set_tls( mixed setting, mixed value )
> {
>      if (trace()[1][FIRST_ARG][this_object()] == nil)
>          trace()[1][FIRST_ARG][this_object()] = ([]);
>      trace()[1][FIRST_ARG] [this_object()][setting] = value;
> }
>
> static mixed query_tls( mixed setting )
> {
>      return( trace()[1][FIRST_ARG] [this_object()][setting] );
> }

The point of having TLS is that it's shared between all objects.  If each
object has its own TLS variables, they might as well be in the object. :)