[DGD] DGD/MP 1.0

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Sat Apr 16 20:47:02 CEST 2005

"Christopher Allen" <ChristopherA at skotos.net> wrote:

> Congratulations! I know that this has been a goal of yours for a long time.
>
> I don't think that many in broader game development community appreciates
> the potential power that MP will offer.

Yes, the current trend seems to be in a very different direction.  World
of Warcraft has a mind-boggling number of "shards":

    http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/serverstatus/

and that listing comprises <only> the servers in the US.  There are
now so many that they have trouble coming up with distinguishing names:
Blackhand, Blackrock, Bloodhoof, Bloodscalp, Frostname, Frostwolf,
Stormrage, Stormreaver, Stormscale...  or perhaps that's just a comment
on the poverty of the Fantasy RPG imagination :)

Additionally WoW has instanced dungeons.  There are other reasons for
having shards and instances (duplication of content and privacy,
respectively) but nonetheless its makers have made a determined effort
not to tackle the "many players in the same world" problem.