[DGD] DGD/MP 1.0

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Mon Apr 18 13:50:01 CEST 2005

Kris Van Hees <aedil at alchar.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 17, 2005 at 12:26:26AM +0200, Felix A. Croes wrote:
> > Let's take a look at how large a "large" server could be.  In 1997,
> > Ultima Online handled 1000-2000 players per shard, with (if I recall
> > correctly) a 20 machine cluster for each shard.  Let's say that 1000
>
> In private conversation, Raph Koster told me mid 1999 that Ultima Online
> was running each shard on a Solaris x86 server farm composed of seven
> dual-processor Intel-architecture boxes.

My source for information about UO is also Raph Koster.  The number
that stuck in my mind was "20" but with the annotation that it was
dubious for some reason -- perhaps it was used as the approximate
number of machines for 3 different shards.  Unfortunately, the
MUD-Dev archive is currently unavailable.

> Anyway, let me add my congratulations to the growing list.  I fondly remember
> conversations we had on The Pattern concerning drivers and MP-support (with
> very interesting disagreements on aspects of it).  I very much look forward to
> seeing DGD/MP once it is ready for people to see.

As I recall, I was arguing against multi-threading at that point.
This was before I learned of the solutions proposed by Alexander
Weidt of Dragon's Dinner fame.