[DGD] Inheriting the same program twice

Par Winzell zell at skotos.net
Tue Apr 19 13:50:01 CEST 2005

Petter Nyström wrote:

> The inheritable in question is a sort of command container. It holds a
> mapping where I map command words to the objects handling the command,
> so that when a user types in a command I can find out if there is an
> objet willing to process that command. For characters I want to separate
> between standard commands that are always available and commands made
> available just by the items they are carrying. As items that handle
> commands are received and released by the character, they are registered
> and unregistered as available commands in the command container. (Rooms
> also inherit this program, and offer their commands to all characters
> present.)

This is an old subject and I hate to be reflexive about it, but I do
urge you to reconsider the object-oriented approach to parsing. Humans
don't work that way. If a verb works in the attic of a dusty house, they
expect that verb to work in a tall clearing. The parser -- at least for
in-game things -- should be central and static. That said, obviously
local objects can have different capabilities and reactions to actions
caused by verbs.

Zell