[DGD] Inheriting the same program twice

Par Winzell zell at skotos.net
Tue Apr 19 17:04:01 CEST 2005

Petter Nyström wrote:

> But your mail have had intended effect, and I find myself indeed
> reconsidering. I will for sure give it some more thought. Maybe I will
> come up with something that I feel sure enough about to replace my
> current plans.
>
> I know that you at Skotos have done things like this, and if you have
> any online material covering this, please point me there. (I vaguely
> recall reading some article over at your website, but can't find it in a
> brief search.)

I suspect the DGD mailing list is probably as likely a place to find
mails describing this as any internal Skotos documentation. Anyway, the
idea is very simple, and I don't mind re-summarizing it.

The Skotos approach -- and so far it looks like this will remain the
architecture in SkotOS 2.0 -- begins by cleanly separating the virtual
world from any interface considerations. The simplest way to keep this
abstraction clean is to always imagine maintaining a Quake interface to
the virtual world as well as the text interface, and ideally also make
sure a NPC can react to anything a player can react to without having to
parse text.

A simple example:

 - I type 'gently place my sword on the ground' onto my command line.

 - My user object, which is a clone of an object in the TextIF module,
sends my command line to the central text parser. The parser knows there
is a place verb, it knows the place verb can take a direct object as
well as an object prepositioned by 'on', and it finds that I am carrying
precisely one sword. It finishes the interface input handling by
ordering my body to execute the general action ACT_PLACE, which takes an
object in my possession and a destination as arguments. Note:
      * Everything is an object pointer, at this point; the text input
is long gone.
      * The ACT_PLACE action could equally well have been caused by the
QuakeIF module as a response to e.g. right-clicking on an object in your
inventory in the GUI, or it could have been triggered by a NPC as part
of a script. In neither of these cases is text involved.
      * The injection of ACT_PLACE into the virtual world could be done
in a zero-second callout without problem, drastically reducing the
danger of thread contention in a DGD/MP world.

 - In the virtual world, ACT_PLACE performs a minor state change -- it
atomically changes the environment (and perhaps proximity) of the object
in question. But -- vitally -- it finishes by firing off a state change
notification event to any object that cares.

 - Almost certainly any player within view does care, and so in practice
control passes back to the interface modules. The TextIF module, for
example, is now asked to describe an event that occured in the virtual
world. It doesn't care that in this case it ordered the action a few
milliseconds ago; the action might just as well have been ordered by a
Cursed Ring of Sword Dropping.

 - Various hideously complicated text generation algorithms are now run
which end up telling the player that he gently placed a sword on the
ground; the sword that the player gently placed it on the ground; the
ground that the player gently placed a sword on it, and any witness that
the player gently placed a sword on the ground.
      * Alternately, any observer that happens to be running the Quake
interface, receives a stream of UDP packets ordering the client to show
me placing my sword on the ground. Or an NPC can directly respond to the
event by subscribing to it.
      * Every event description can occur in a separate zero-second
callout... as long as there is some sanity to the order in which the
callouts are processed. I have yet to really think this through for
DGD/MP, and I'm a little nervous about it.

OK, so that all sounds very complicated compared to the 2.4.5 approach
now that I type it out. There are probably other modern approaches that
do not rely on a central parser... but I'm not sure those would be any
simpler, and I really like the clean design of this one.

Zell