[DGD] Relative naming

Petter Nyström md1pette at mdstud.chalmers.se
Tue Aug 23 12:37:01 CEST 2005

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005, Steve Wooster wrote:

> PS, is this list an ok place to discuss general mud design or should I
> focus on the more technical aspects? I'd love to some day implement a
> mud with relative naming (ie, a player might be known by different names
> to different people), but there's some problems I would end up with that
> I'm not sure how to solve.

I don't know either if this list should be used for discussing game design
rather than stuff directly related to DGD. But I can atlesat say that I
have implemented a system where one is able to recognize players (or other
uniquely identifiable objects) by any name, and there are many other muds
that have similar systems. And atleast I would be happy to help you out in
any way I can.

If you feel the DGD list is a bad place for the discussion, feel free to
mail me privately. Or perhaps post on a webforum on some mud community out
there. There is a relatively new webforum for discussing anything related
to mud development on http://mudlab.org, which is so far free from flames
and spam. I'd recomend that one.

Good luck,

Jimorie