[DGD] Relative Naming Problems

Petter Nyström md1pette at mdstud.chalmers.se
Wed Aug 24 12:32:01 CEST 2005

I have implemented a system such that you speak of, however the main
problematics you speak of is one I haven't even considered. If a person
that you'd like to recognize by name runs away before you have time to
type the command, then you're out of luck. And I don't think it is that
much of a problem. Atleast players always have pretty detailed
descriptions of their characters, so you'd still just do it the old
fashioned way and remember their appearance and put a name on them the
next time you see them. The chances that it'd be someone else than the one
you met is small, and we aim for it to be non-existing when it comes to
player characters.

> Something that's not so easy to handle is "tell" commands. [...] Maybe
> tells would need to be OOC and sent to player accounts instead of
> characters?

That is how we do it. We try to draw a very clear line between the ooc
"user" account and the ic "character" currently played by the user. Tells
are not considered ic and go thus only between users. The same goes for
all global channels. And followingly, the who list only shows online users
and not what characters that are being played.

Sorry for not being of more help, but your worries are some that I have
not taken into account when designing my system for relative naming.

Cheers,

Jimorie