[DGD] Requirements of a healthy mudlib

Petter Nyström md1pette at mdstud.chalmers.se
Sun Jul 31 23:23:01 CEST 2005

In the past two months, my DGD-based mud has crashed twice without any
clue in the log. I have realized that DGD is a very robust program, but
that it do lean on the mudlib for some things or it will go down hard. For
example, I have previously had DGD crashing when there has been functions
missing in the driver object. But I have previously always got a helpful
error message in the log, which has then helped me to successfully fix up
my mudlib to prevent the problem from reaching the driver. This time I
feel I am more stuck.

With this mail I would like to ask the DGD community for all things that a
mudlib should handle or DGD will crash. Basically, what are the things
that DGD expect of the mudlib?

For instance, I am aware that the mudlib should...

  * Implement all necessary functions in the driver object
  * Prevent exceeding the number of allowed objects
  * Prevent exceeding the number of allowed callouts

I have a hunch that my current problem is memory related, so pointers on
how to keep a healthy mudlib-based memory management is extra welcome. (I
do nothing of that sort at this point.)

I am running DGD version 1.2.111 hacked to allow ansi, using the following
command line: ./dgd-1.2.111-ansi mud.dgd 2> log.txt &

All help appreciated,

Jimorie