[DGD] Question for programmers and builders

will guaraldi willg at bluesock.org
Tue Mar 22 16:36:01 CET 2005

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005, Noah Gibbs wrote:

> Phantasmal gets a lot of flak for being gratuitously weird, by which I
> mean "not like 2.4.5".  And that's true, it really isn't.  Would people
> have an easier time with passing Phrases around if they looked like the
> markup strings above instead of looking like opaque LWO structures that
> you have to call functions on?

I don't use Phantasmal or DGD, though I've been following development of
both for a few years now.  Even so, I don't really understand what you're
talking about here.

However, one thing I do want to mention is that I frequently use ispell to
spellcheck descriptions and the like and I frequently run it over code
files.  So whatever solution you end up with, keep in mind that people may
use other non-mud tools to do their work so the most text-centric approach
for building objects is definitely the better one.

In regards to storing that internally, you could store a version of the
expanded string (i.e. the string with all the markup code expanded into
ANSI/HTML/Xterm/...) for each language.  But I would think that gets
pretty memory intensive if every phrase consisted of a markup version for
each language supported.  (2 languages and 3 markup formats would be 6
strings stored for each phrase).  Also, you'd spend a lot of time
expanding all those strings to all the variations.

I think the issue here is memory and how long it takes to expand strings.
You clearly want to limit the number of times you're expanding the same
string, but on the flip side, you don't want to go expand everything and
suffer the memory penalties.  Maybe it's better to cache the expanded
strings after the first time they've been requested?

The other problem I've had that would be interesting to solve is trying to
use marked up strings for comparison.  This goes along with the problem
where people may adjust the phrase after the fact.  Is there a way to do
string comparisons on "~green(green) apple" without having to worry about
the ~green(...) part?  It would be nice if "~green(green) apple" == "green
apple".

I'm doing a lot of talking about things I know next to nothing about, so
I'm going to cut it short here.

I think it's pretty wild that you could have a mud written in multiple
languages.  I'm not sure how that would really work.  Is there a need for
such a thing?  How do players of such muds interact with each other?

/will