[DGD] Software Development Tools

Neil McBride sarak at castinian.org
Tue May 3 10:14:01 CEST 2005

Hi all,

It's been a while since I've poked my head up in here - hope you're all
doing well ;)  I've been thinking lately about software development tools,
preferably linux but maybe the evil M$ side if there's something good
enough there.

I find that the way I tend to work on my own little mud project is about
once every few months or more, and lately whenever I go to do some more
work on it, I find myself working out where I was up to, what I was
thinking, etc.  In spite of somewhat excessive comments in code and the
half-written design docs, I still find myself going back to the start for
a refresher course on what I've done.

So, I figured that there must be some useful (and hopefully freely
available) tools out there that might come in handy.  What do others use
to manage the status, designs and generic ideas of these sorts of
projects?  Is there a special tool I've managed to miss due to my lack of
professional software development exposure?

I understand that different things have different success levels depending
on the person using them, but since my success rate is a little low with
what I'm doing (or not doing) at the moment I thought I'd see what works
for others.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Neil.