[DGD] Question: Implementing ANSI

Josh Dady jpd at indecisive.com
Mon May 9 17:59:01 CEST 2005

On May 7, 2005, at 9:27 AM, Par Winzell wrote:

> As you seem to have already figured out, there's two substantially
> different ways to compile DGD for Windows; one's native to Windows,
> uses the Windows API, and requires Visual C++... and one compiles
> DGD as a Unix application, on top of Cygwin.

As an aside, I thought about doing the legwork to make DGD compile
with the mingw.org toolchain, and see if I could get Dworkin to
swallow them, but decided I didn't like Windows enough for it to be
worth the trouble (and I mean the porting; I didn't even really get
to whether I could convince Dworkin of anything).

If you're not familiar with this project, it is essentially the
minimal set of tools you need to build, configure, and autoconfiscate
a project; plus windows headers and import libs.  Unlike the Cygwin
toolchain, the mingw compiler -only- produces native (console and
gui) applications (which, in turn, means that "minimal" includes a
bunch of dll tools).  Good luck if you want to do COM though; it was
nice knowing you.  ;)

For what it's worth, the mingw toolchain is in Darwinports, so anyone
working on Mac OS X should be able to build native Windows apps
directly using a Mac-hosted compiler once the heavy lifting is done.

--
Joshua P. Dady
http://www.indecisive.com/