[DGD] LPC parsing in DGD

Noah Gibbs noah_gibbs at yahoo.com
Tue May 31 20:18:01 CEST 2005

--- Shaun  deRost  Vantuil <shaun at derost.com> wrote:
> Does DGD compile LPC for use later on, or does it parse the code every time
> the LPC is run? I hope Im making sense here.

  It precompiles it.  Not to full-on machine code (at least, by default), but
to a bytecode language which should be amply fast for these purposes.

> My goal is to implement r-tree lookup for a spatial wilderness system for my
> outdoor areas. I wanted to know if doing it in LPC would be dramatically
> slower than as say an efun/kfun. I figure if DGD uses a compiled copy of the
> LPC, then speed issues would be negligable.

  This is a great thing to do in LPC.  There are significant problems with
writing a C implementation and building it into the driver.  LPC will be far
more convenient and upgradable, and the speed and size issues should be very
small.

> Has anyone implemented this already in DGD?

  Enough people have asked about this on the mailing list over the years that
I'm sure somebody has done something very much like it.  Sadly, none of them
have released their code.