[DGD] object finding

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Sat Apr 29 17:02:01 CEST 2006

Shentino <shentino at gmail.com> wrote:

> Par you took the words right out of my mouth...an argument signature
> for find object that takes an integer instead of a string would be
> just perfect for what I was suggesting.

In DGD/MP, it's not as perfect as it looks.  You cannot just access
random object table slots, since those might be under the control of
a different thread and completely off limits.  There also is a problem
with finding empty object table slots, which essentially works out as
asserting a non-presence in that slot for the current thread.  Even
with the aforementioned implementation problem resolved, it would
work out as an expensive operation.

I am hesitant to add new MP-busting functionality at this point.

The only real use for find_object(int i) would be to iterate over all
indices and find all existing objects.  Is that what you want to use
it for?