[DGD] Paranoid about MP

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Fri Aug 18 01:51:12 CEST 2006

Shentino <shentino at gmail.com> wrote:

> What guarantees, if any, are there about execution order among
> competing execution rounds?
>
> Also, I'm not necessarily talking about callouts in the same object either.

None.

Something I forgot to mention: callouts with an integer delay and
callouts with a floating point delay are effectively in different
queues.  A callout with an integer delay of, say, 3 seconds will
not be executed in exactly 3 seconds, but in "about" 3 seconds.
A callout with a floating point delay of 3.0 seconds will be executed
in as close to 3 seconds from now as the driver can manage, though
still without an absolute guarantee (DGD is not intended for realtime
applications; but then, no server that handles clients across the
internet can make a genuine guarantee about response time in any
event).

So, a callout with a delay of (integer) 3 seconds could still be
executed after a callout with a delay of 3.1 seconds!  What <is>
guaranteed is that it will be executed after a callout with a
delay of 2 seconds.