[DGD] DGD 1.2.105 VS2005 Crash

Gary Preston muphicks at mups.co.uk
Sun Jun 4 14:44:01 CEST 2006

Hi,

I thought I'd get back into playing around with DGD last night,
downloaded 1.2.105 (no extra patches applied) and tried to compile it
with VS2005 (optimizations disabled).

It compiles without error, few warnings about the various functions
deprecated in the recent compiler release, but nothing unusual.

Running dgd.exe then loading up a config and selecting start causes a
crash. Replacing the compiled dgd.exe with the 1.2p4 pre-compiled
version from the ftp server and it works fine. (Not same crash occurs
when I compile from 1.2p4 source)

Running a debug version (had to define _AFXDLL and /MD to compile)
causes a crash during a ctime memcpy. Crash is in time.c P_ctime() on
the memcpy

    offset = 0;
    for (offset = 0; t >= 2147397248L; t -= 883612800L, offset += 28) ;
    memcpy(buf, ctime((time_t *) &t), 26);  // HERE inside ctime call
    if (offset != 0) {
	long year;

The actual cause of the crash appears to be within the ctime function
with a "not enough memory" error. However as stated earlier, the
pre-compiled version works fine (which compiler version was used to
produce that?) I'm assuming the upgrade to VS2005 has broken something.

Has anyone successfully compiled dgd under VS2005 pro? Did you need to
tweak any compiler/linker options to avoid the above crash?

I've never used DGD in windows before, always compiled/used in Linux so
any help here would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Gary