[DGD] A few questions

Jesse Garrison jgarriso at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 06:29:01 CET 2006

Dworkin,

Thanks for the response.

I've had a bit of free time to work on my mudlib this weekend. I'm
really fond of the object typing feature. That comes in really handy
when you don't know what someone else might come along and try to do
with your code.

> When using the kernel library, you cannot store data in inheritables
> at all, since they are forced to be pure classes which cannot be
> initialized.

That's a very good point. I had actually forgotten that create() isn't
called until an object is accessed for the first time.

> The kernel library keeps track of objects (per owner) with a double-
> linked list.  Alternatively, you could store arrays of objects in
> some other place than the inherited object.

Done. I'm still not entirely happy with the solution I have, but it works ok.

> At this point one may come to the realization that modifying an
> object's datastructures is rather a lot like initializing it in
> the first place, and that some generalized way of configuring an
> object -- that is, setting up or altering its internal
> datastructures -- may be very useful...

Ok, I understand that. The idea of not having hard copies (outside of
the state dump anyway) is still kinda scary so I think I'm going to
take something of a "middle of the road" approach for now and have
some kind of secondary backup.

I suppose if you have the whole game set up to recompile anything in
place there shouldn't be any situations where you can't recover from a
glitch, but I don't entirely trust myself enough to risk somebody
coming along and accidently destructing the object manager right
before a statedump or something.

Thanks again,

Jesse