[DGD] Commercial question

Shentino shentino at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 01:24:01 CEST 2006

To answer felix:

The donations weren't intended as access fees or prerequisites of any
sort to use my mud.  I considered them *gifts* intended to keep the
server running, and so long as those donations were OPTIONAL (meaning
a freeloader didn't have to pay if he didn't want to), that it didn't
qualify as income and thus wouldn't be covered by the commercial
restriction.  Which is why I also emphasised that the only benefit of
donating was that I wouldn't go bankrupt trying to keep it going, and
you wouldn't get any in game benefit from the donation so I didn't
think that the donations would be associated with the running of the
DGD program, merely associated with the maintenance and costs of the
server it's running on.

I was under the impression that income is only used when speaking of
net receipts over expenditures when you have a PROFIT MOTIVE, which
isn't my case.  I was only hoping to be allowed to accept donations to
cover server costs, and if you're running a mud, finding a cheap host
to do that for you so you can minimize out of pocket expenses is a
hard thing to do.

Wow, I'm surprised at how many people got involved in this simple
question.  I must have stirred up a royal hornet's nest with that one
:P.