[DGD] object finding

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Tue May 2 03:23:01 CEST 2006

Shentino <shentino at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, finding all objects with find_object(int) (or, more usefully,
> status(int)) would be useful to me in crash situations.
>
> Suppose that objectd goes belly up and I manage to lose all my
> information...and suppose that pathologically another piece of code
> picked that precise moment to do a statedump and I don't find out
> until it's too late to go back to a known good state.  Being able to
> rebuild objectd's database from scratch would be exactly the sort of
> thing that find_object(int) (or status(int)) would come in handy for.

But only that.  The usual purpose of the objectd is to make possible
the recompilation of any object and all that it inherits from.  The
inheritance information would still be lost.

If losing objectd state is what you worry about, it isn't so difficult
to let objectd perform a swift consistency check before each statedump,
aborting with an error -- preventing the statedump -- if any problem
is found.