[DGD] Coordinate systems, absolutes v relative v octree v nada

Noah Gibbs noah_gibbs at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 13 02:33:30 CEST 2006

  Any flaws around this are going to be in the interface to it, not so much in
the coordinate system itself.  The questions that go through my mind are:

  * How will you express what things look like?  Will you do a search through
nearby nodes and show things within a certain radius?

  * How will players move?  How will movement through sub-nodes and running
into walls be handled?  Having the players give turns and coordinates in text
mode sucks.  If you just do "move toward <blah>" 95% of the time, there's no
reason to bother with real coordinates - Skotos-style proxes will work much
better.

  * Is this not meant to be a text-mode thing?  If not, what will the interface
to it look like?  Rendering is going to happen way more often than movement, so
that's what should be fast.  How will you render it?  If it's text, ignore this
question.