[DGD] Differential Calculus

Par Winzell zell at skotos.net
Fri Oct 13 23:15:07 CEST 2006

Shentino wrote:
> Ok, I just had an interesting idea...
>
> I was doing something similiar in a physics simulation, recording
> position, velocity and acceleration to do an event-driven as opposed
> to timer tick driven simulation, and thought maybe it could be
> extended.

Huh? What kinds of events? And if you record position, velocity and
acceleration, what's left to simulate when your events occur?

I assume you're suggesting that when you get an event you can record it
like  "add (dx, dy, dz) to the acceleration vector at time t" and then
when e.g. position or velocity is queried on the object, you integrate
forward from the last update to the current?

That can make sense for things like computer-controlled entities in the
world (although I'm not sure why they'd be generating events that do not
depend in any way on the current state of the entity), so only the parts
of the world where players are use up CPU cycles... but... uh... it's of
fairly limited use, I think.

Unless I misunderstood.

Zell