[DGD] Idea for copyrighted yet publicly usable mudlibs

Steve Wooster s.f.m.wooster+dgd at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 12:01:55 CEST 2006

    You know how the people who wrote the DIKU code had a ton of people
use their mudlib but not give credit for it? It occurred to me that
releasing a mudlib via DGD statedumps maybe provide a reasonable
solution for that, allowing you to make it difficult for the average joe
to alter core sections of your mudlib. You could make something like the
kernal-lib where there's a certain core/kernal that can't be touched by
normal code, and make it so that upon connection, some message like
"FoobarLIB v1.23 created by John Smith." is displayed to the user
regardless of what the mudlib code says.

Some possible pitfalls:

This assumes that connections would be opened via telnet... a copyright
message could screw up other protocols, preventing your mudlib from
using them.

Nobody's perfect, so your mudlib would need updates/patches. You could
make it so that the core code can load patch files and alter its own
code. To prevent people from using the patching ability to alter core
code, you could make your code check digital signatures for any patches.

Somebody who knows what they're doing could still bypass all your
"security". Perhaps they could alter the mud's config-file to use
different driver/auto objects. Or they could recompile DGD to add a copy
of find_object() under a new name. Or if they really wanted to get
technical, they could alter the statedump. Still, I imagine the sorts of
people who know how to do that could write their own mudlib just fine...
though I guess they could release a "cracked" version of the mudlib to
the general public.

Heh, I guess it's probably more work than it's worth, and easier just to
release the mudlib as public domain. Still, for credit-seeking people,
this might be viable.

-Steve Wooster