[DGD] 1.2.133

bart at wotf.org bart at wotf.org
Wed Dec 19 18:46:17 CET 2007

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 18:24:37 +0100, Felix A. Croes wrote
> bart at wotf.org wrote:
>
> > Works well for me, but turned up something funny.
> >
> > As it turns out, there was a condition in which my kernel did a dump_state()
> > without doing a swapout() first. That results in a corrupt dumpfile and is
> > something I'm sure you metion somewhere (I recall reading about it). Makes you
> > wonder why this wasn't a problem earlier on, well, I triggered the condition
> > while trying the quick reboot feature, and forced a statedump, something which
> > is normally not done manually.
> >
> > It made me wonder however why dump_state() doesn't do this itself if its
> > basicly mandatory. I could quite see why it shouldn't if there were legitimate
> > uses of dump_state() without a swapout(), but I can't come up with one :)
>
> Creating a state dump does not require swapout(), though it used to
> be the case that you periodically had to do a swapout to allow DGD to
> perform full garbage collection (which is now fully automatic).

Ok thanks for clearing that up.

> > So, am I again missing something here?
>
> You have found a bug, either in DGD or in your own changes.  My own
> state dumps seem to work okay without swapouts.

Heh :)

It manifests itself in 2 ways:
Either DGD complains about not being able to read its swapfile on boot or it
crashes during or shortly after having called restored() in the driver object,
with a sig 11 in sdata.c in the function d_ref_dataspace at the line saying
data->prev->next = data->next; because data->next is pointing at junk (data
itself looks valid).

I of course suspect my own changes, or some unexpected interaction between
them and your recent change.

I'll investigate further and let you know what I find if anything (for one, I
should get a version of my kernel to work on plain DGD again even if that is
without some of the functionality I want normally)

Bart.

Created with Open WebMail at http://www.bartsplace.net/
Read my weblog at http://soapbox.bartsplace.net/