[DGD] More on asynchronous thread starts

Shentino shentino at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 18:17:16 CET 2007

You know dworkin, I was just thinking about the netpatch and some
dependency stuff you were mumbling about.

May I ask this:

What would the difference be between THAT (custom expansion package
starting threads asynchronously), and what DGD already does natively
whenever a callout expires, a new connection arrives, an existing
connection dies, or some input comes in?

Aren't those events just as asynchronous as what the net package would be doing?

What I'm getting is that, PROVIDED an expansion follows the same
rules, why could it not start threads whenever it wants to?  It would
pretty much be doing something that DGD already does natively.

And the same would IMHO almost certainly apply for MP assuming that
the mudlib wouldn't know the difference.