[DGD] Changing connect() (network package)

bart at wotf.org bart at wotf.org
Sun Dec 30 07:22:32 CET 2007

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 19:37:24 -0600, Par Winzell wrote

> In the past I've argued with some force for a general network
> package in DGD. I still think it's very useful for all those times
> when we wish to use DGD not as a game engine, but as a programming environment.
>
> But I've changed my mind when it comes to hosting games. There is no
> good reason to include the full power of a general purpose
> networking API in a game engine.

Was thinking some more about this, and I think we agree on this in concept,
but not on what it means.

To me, a lib implemented on top of DGD is at the very least split into a
kernel and a game lib, possibly with a layer inbetween (called system in my
case, System in case of the kernel lib I believe). While I don't use the
kernel lib, I follow that same general setup.

The 'game engine' to me is the game lib, ie, the part that runs on top of the
system lib or the kernel. This part imho should not have a general purpose
networking api, and should not have outgoing networking connectivity at all,
rather, when it need things that would require such privileges, it will have
to ask the system or kernel for it.

This doesn't mean to me however that the kernel couldn't be provided with a
general purpose networking api by the driver, and then restrict it to what is
needed for the game engine.

Bart.
--
Created with Open WebMail at http://www.bartsplace.net/