[DGD] Changing connect() (network package)

Shentino shentino at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 19:37:52 CET 2007

Oh, just remembered:

Another use of ER injection is the introduction of "itimer" type
functionality.  I may very well not wish to rely on callouts for this.

With ER injection, I'd just start my own itimers, and when they go
off, my extension would just scream "Yo DGD/MP, something just
happened and I need to start an exec round PRONTO", and when MP would
go "do your stuff" when it called back in response to that.  My
extension, in turn, would tell MP to inject the ER, and then it simply
waits for the ER to either succeed or fail to commit.  At which point,
if it succeeds, the extension settles down, otherwise, it simply
requeues the ER if it is still valid.

LPC would benefit from itimer type functionality, and yet DGD/MP
wouldn't need to include one bit of itimer handling code.