[DGD] another $ and copyright question

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Thu Feb 15 04:13:13 CET 2007

"chris ." <psych_mayo at hotmail.com> wrote:

> What if objects in a dgd based game become valuable enough that players pay
> other players money.  Does this violate the agreement?  Howabout if such
> objects were attempted to be sold on ebay?  What if the mud owner has a
> player second?  Howabout admin player seconds?
>
> I used to play a mmporg called muonline, and this was the state of things
> there.  Similarly, ive seen people barter for cash, on occasion, on free
> muds.

And of course this is happening on a large scale in MMORPGs like World
of Warcraft.  Some locations of the game, where the supply of gold is
plentiful, are completely taken over by gold farmers who sell the
in-game currency online to other players.

There are also commercial muds where playing is free, but where some
in-game items can only be bought.

According to my reading of the current ichat-derived license, it would
count as commercial use.