[DGD] Odd restore_object behavior

Kurt Nordstrom kurt at blar.net
Sun Jul 29 06:23:25 CEST 2007

So, I'm having some issues with restore_object() not working some of the
time.

I'm running Melville, on the 1.2p4 version of the driver.

The issue occurs when restoring the player files generated by
save_object().  For some reason, the kfun is failing and returning 0 when
I attempt to read them.

I'm not sure what is causing the problem.  Here's what I do know:

1) For some reason, it doesn't seem to happen with the two admin accounts
I have created.  It happens with all of the other 'regular wizard'
accounts that I have.  I initially thought it was a problem with the
mudlib denying read permission, however...

2) The mudlib is granting read permission, and I can verify with gdb that
the kfun is actually being called and attempting to read the file.  I've
shoehorned some printf statements in there, and confirmed that it is
indeed reading the files in question, just, for some reason, failing to
properly load data from them and returning a failure response.

I know that this is probably pretty vague, and I've a suspicion that not
many people are messing with Melville these days.  However, I suspect that
the problem is not with the mudlib in this case, though I'm not certain of
anything.

Any suggestions are welcome at this point.  Are there any diagnostics I
should try?  Any tests I should run?  Are there any known issues with
restore_object() in the 1.2p4 DGD driver?

I considered upgrading to the latest experimental version of DGD, but
that's going to involve changing Melville's driver object, due to some
function changes.  If there's any indication that it might fix the
restore_object issue I'm having, I'm more than happy to do it.

Anybody got any thoughts on the matter?