[DGD] Letting the players code stuff

Noah Gibbs noah_gibbs at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 28 02:39:43 CEST 2007

  This is something I thought about long and hard.  The short answer is that if
you don't want players to be able to crash your MUD in some way, you're going
to need to create an interpreted language within DGD.

  The major concern is resource exhaustion -- you don't want player code to be
able to steal all the machine resources and starve the MUD itself.  DGD has
excellent protection to prevent this for disk space and processor load, and
also does an amazing job with regards to security.  Unfortunately, if you're
directly executing LPC code, there's no way to prevent player code from
allocating too much RAM and starving your MUD.  To do that, you're going to
need to add a layer to check that in some way, which basically means coding an
interpreted language.

  This language can look exactly like LPC if you want, though you'll need to
figure out what the failure mode is when they allocate a new data structure and
suddenly their code dies with an error of some kind...