[DGD] Kernel Library wiztool - out of ticks in cmd_code

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Mon Mar 12 13:45:08 CET 2007

Neil McBride <sarak at castinian.org> wrote:

>[...]
> Is there any reason this approach would not be appropriate in the
> kernel's wiztool object to ensure the object gets destroyed following
> an out of ticks error?  It's a System object, I would expect an
> infinite loop when destructing the object to be unlikely and the limit
> resetting and unaccounted destruction don't seem like an issue.

Do you want any programmer to be able to hang the mud with a code
command?  If there is no limit on ticks, there also is no out of ticks
error.

Generally speaking, it's hard to recover from an "out of ticks" error
without offering some way to get around the ticks limit, which would
amount to compromising the resource management system.  If you are
truly worried about that lingering object, you could change the
wiztool through inheritance and add a zero second callout to
destroy it after execution of the code command.  For a minimal
mudlib, I decided that this wasn't a priority.