[DGD] another aspect of persistence

bart at wotf.org bart at wotf.org
Tue Sep 30 20:35:42 CEST 2008

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 10:01:01 -0700, Shentino wrote
> Hand crafted descs that VARY in different objects would negate my
> idea indeed.
>
> However, the more you can keep what should be consistent information
> centralized and therefore easier to change, the better off you'll be
> should you ever need to update it.
>
> What may work as a middle solution is having a single, fixed desc
> with variable parts, such as "You have $a eyes" where the
> query_long() does a substitution of sorts on $a.
>
> BTW, it would really be object->master->query_long() ish.

Just to prevent some confusion here, master is what other drivers call the
'original', whereas 'master object' has a very special meaning on other
drivers (very similar but not identical to DGD's driver object).

Therefore the use of 'master object' may be quite confusing, and is best avoided.

> On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 7:02 AM, chris . <psych_mayo at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Using the master object to store constant variables in a cloned object
might not be a bad idea.
> > It seems to serve to save a little memory, and wouldnt it use more ticks
since a clone would now have to call another object, its master. (versus using
more memory, and the variable being local to the clone).
> > your doing object->daemon->master, I do 'return x'.
> > Im naive about the impact resource usage has on a system, but my
understanding is to preserve ticks before memory because players need them,
and only the system worries about its max memory.

Created with Open WebMail at http://www.bartsplace.net/
Read my weblog at http://soapbox.bartsplace.net/