[DGD] Phantasmal's contributor policy/legal arse covering

Shentino shentino at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 19:35:55 CET 2009

> It doesn't actually protect against patent extortion, it just
> attempts to shift the responsibility.  What if the offending code
> is contributed by someone who is only known by a mud alias, who has
> since disappeared?

That's actually a good point...

Mostly it's just to serve as a deterrent to people planting an IP bomb
in the code or trying to sneak in proprietary code.

Patent law being what it is, nobody's likely to actually survive an
attack unscathed, even if completely innocent.  Sadly...

Maybe I'm being paranoid...and I have the odd feeling that, if some
big corp DID target us, we'd be hosed no matter what.