[DGD] Phantasmal's contributor policy/legal arse covering

Noah Gibbs noah_gibbs at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 19 23:17:20 CET 2009

  I agree with others that this doesn't really add anything useful to the existing GPL.  I'd worry, actually, that this may conflict with the terms of the GPL if the "Phantasmal Copyright" includes the additional clause you added.  GPL is very picky about how you can restrict rights of redistribution going forward.  So it's not clear that this is legal.

  I'd go back to straight-up GPL if I were you, since that leaves us 100% in the clear for GPL terms -- and I agree with others that the additional "agree to remedy"-type terms you added are unlikely to do us good in any probable situation.

  And yes, a large corporation could hose us easily no matter what, in the sense that you can sue anybody for anything in the US, and the legal fees to defend are generally prohibitive for most folks.  That's not unique to Phantasmal, or to source code -- it's pretty much a fact of existence in the US (and I assume at least some other countries).  But realistically, nobody stands to gain from having us remove the code (which is pretty much all they could demand of us), so it's unlikely to ever be an issue.