[DGD] Fwd: Kotaka development

Noah Gibbs noah_gibbs at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 21 02:30:46 CET 2009

  Git allows very quick, very cheap branching.  It has better support for binary files than SVN if I remember right (and far better than CVS/RCS), and as Shentino mentions, much better support for file move and various directory operations.  Its big selling point is that it also allows multiple hierarchical levels of upstream servers, so you're not just committing to a single top-level git server -- you commit locally, "push" the changes upstream, and those can in turn be pushed farther upstream, with whatever number of levels (or peer nodes, if you don't like hierarchy) suit you.

  As a tradeoff, git is much, much harder to use at basic "check out, edit, commit, plus basics like branch and rename" level of effectiveness.  The commands are oddly named with somewhat weird syntax, and they don't map very well to "legacy" (anything that got popular before two years ago) source control system commands.  And the "getting started" guides are nothing to write home about.

  So SVN is, for that definition, "dumb", both in the sense of not allowing too much complexity in your setup (for both good and bad) and having very simple commands with low learning curve (for both good and bad).  Git is a capital-T Tool for people who want the Best Tool For The Job, when the job is developing something huge like the Linux kernel, using a large distributed group of developers, organized hierarchically.  The Linux kernel is actually the project git cut its teeth on, though it's now used in a number of other communities -- Ruby on Rails stuff comes to mind, for instance.