[DGD] retry: poll

bart at wotf.org bart at wotf.org
Tue Jul 7 19:45:46 CEST 2009

On Tue, 7 Jul 2009 10:19:41 -0700, Shentino wrote

> > Option 1
> >
> > Take the current code, update it to kernel lib 1.3, and leave it there.
> > This
> > would first of all serve as an example. Code would be available under the
> > current license (essentially the dgd license)
> >
> > Option 2
> >
> > Redevelop the kernel lib part based on the current kernel library 1.3. This
> > code can be public domain, and could serve a lot more purposes as a result.
> >
> > Obviously, option 2 is much more time consuming, and I am only going to do
> > this if I find there is sufficient interest in using a network enabled
> > version
> > of the kernel library.
>
> Naturally I lean towards usefulness, and not handcuffing yourself license
> wise for the future.  But effort wise I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Agreed, that is my dilemma here

> Personally, I'm not sure how a modified klib that is NOT public
> domain would play when interacting with the various licenses of
> other mudlibs, such as gurba, melville, or even phantasmal.

For gurba this isn't much of a concern since it has its own kernel with
networking support already. For others, it could serve as an example of how to
use the network kfuns.

The networking code for the kernel library is clearly a derived work from the
kernel library, not just something that interfaces with it.

> If part of the klib can be under the DGD license in spite of being
> purely on the LPC side, then I'm not sure where a mudlib that uses
> it would lie.
>
> I'm sure felix could clarify on if, barring direct code derivation, the
> LPC/driver barrier is a license boundary.  Honestly, I figured it
> was clear cut that anything LPC side is not bound by the DGD license.

This is not entirely clear to me, what you say makes sense, but the included
documentation doesn't mention anything in this direction for what I know.

I also have to keep the license on the network package in mind since I am not
the original developer of it, just the current maintainer.

Redoing the kernel lib part from scratch makes sure I am clear of any such
restrictions.

Bart.
--
Created with Open WebMail at http://www.bartsplace.net/