[DGD] Shadows issue

Kamil N kamiln at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 13:18:01 CEST 2009

2009/7/17 Dread Quixadhal <quixadhal at chartermi.net>:
> If you keep the player object and the body object distinct in your design,
> you should be able to swap body objects at will... you might need to keep
> the "original" body around somewhere to restore it if it's a temporary
> change.  If your inventory and such is also kept as distinct objects, you
> could probably just pass a reference around between bodies, so a sex change
> would still show your normal inventory, but a polymorph might hide it (since
> wolves don't have pockets or backpacks, for example).

The only problem is, as you said, with keeping this "original" body
"somewhere" in case we need to restore it. Also what should I do about
some properties set in old body when I assign new one, if these
properties should be shared. Some solution may be just making sure
that design doesn't allow such "sharing" and new body means everything
is new, with no connection to old one. I guess that its a nice design
challenge, to make everything work and be available when its needed -
stats, skills, information about names/shorts/longs while having
possibility to swap bodies etc.

> It's also important to know if you're designing a persistent game (via
> statedumps), or a reset-based game.  Things that work very easily in a
> persistent mudlib are more problematic if you have to save/load/restore
> things all the time.

Sorry, forgot to mention this. I'm interested in persistent mud,
because this sounds like a nice concept and something "fresh" in mud
world, that could make them much more attractive to players.

KN