[DGD] Working with parse_string()

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Wed Jul 22 01:13:14 CEST 2009

Shentino <shentino at gmail.com> wrote:

> My first guess is that rules are called left to right among equally deep
> parts, parts before wholes, and alternatives sorted by vertical order of the
> first rule to differ.
>
> Order of the rules:  Accounted for by making it the tie breaker between
> alternatives
> Recursion:  Parts before wholes
> Ambiguity:  Ties broken by whichever rule differs first, then which rule is
> first in the grammer.  Kinda like alphabetizing.

You haven't really explored the interesting intersection of ambiguity
with the other cases...  but in any case, I think we can answer the
question, "is the calling order of functions from parse_string intuitive?"
with "no."  Other than left-to-right within the same rule, make no
assumptions about that order.

Regards,
Felix Croes