[DGD] Gurbalib resurrection, followup

bart at wotf.org bart at wotf.org
Mon Mar 16 21:41:57 CET 2009

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 16:07:21 -0400, Dread Quixadhal wrote
> Hehehe, you could always download a 120-evaluation copy of Windows
>
> (assuming they still do that) and install it to a VM under linux... :)

Yep, I could.

> No, I'm not suggesting that.

Good, because I won't :)

> I've just seen other open source
> projects that were unix-based, and they put enough #ifdef ugliness in
> to get it workable under windows, but they didn't distribute any
> build environment files for it.

>  All well and good for the professional
> coder who uses VS every day at work, but a bit of a pain for the
> hobbiest who now has to spend an hour figuring out how to import the
> source and get it compiled.

Well, looks for now like I'm looking for such a professional who can help out
with the windows specifics and testing. I can make an educated guess at what
connect.c for windows should look like based on what is already there and the
unix version of that file, but it would really be no more then a guess.

> That's the only reason I mentioned it.

Well, I agree that when doing this, it should be relatively easy to use. On
the other side, the network package is for lib developers first of all, of
whom I do expect some more development experience on the platform of their choice.

This is unlike the gurbalib distributions for example, but those are also
intended to make it really easy for people to get started. If included in such
a distribution, it should be trivial to setup. (which by the way means that
for now, the gurbalib distributions aren't supported on windows, tho the lib
should mostly work fine)

Bart
--
Created with Open WebMail at http://www.bartsplace.net/