[DGD] using NURBS to generate virtual landscapes

Noah Gibbs noah_gibbs at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 17 21:02:53 CET 2009

  In general, this kind of thing winds up being a lot, LOT more than you need for geometric consistency.  The problem is that you need to usefully generate text descriptions of the hillsides and whatnot, and NURBS give you *way* too much information in a form that's hard to analyze.  You're usually better off using something simpler, like simple grid-based subdivision (remember plasma fractals?) that's easier to generate a description for.

  In other words, first figure out how your MUD will describe this stuff, and then come up with a model that will very conveniently generate that description.  NURBS are not that model.