[DGD] using NURBS to generate virtual landscapes

Shentino shentino at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 21:54:25 CET 2009

What I might wind up doing in the 24th century is have my explorable areas,
at least, the fixed parts (like rock, soil, and river) compiled rather than
interpreted.

Do the nurb thing, then do "lscomp that_nurb" and the landscape compiler
would go to work generating

A)  the polygons for a graphical client
B) any simplified and easily-digestible stuff the text interface would need
to calculate the appropriate text...such as the locations of any peaks,
valleys, steep spots

so the nurbs, while used to build, wouldn't actually be visible to anyone
but the builders.  I guess you could say the nurb information would be to a
source file what the polygon and textIF biscuits would be to a program.

I'm still thinking about this.