[DGD] DGD-OSR and Skotos Tech

Christopher Allen ChristopherA at LifeWithAlacrity.com
Thu Apr 1 21:48:00 CEST 2010

<shentino at gmail.com> wrote:
> What impact will DGD-OSR's new existence have on Skotos Tech's business
> structure, if any?

A positive one. As soon as we can dedicate sufficient time to sanitize
a release, we hope to offer an open source release ourselves. The
challenge is that the two key engineers (Par and Erwin) are very busy
with other projects.

SkotOS 1.0 has many man years worth of development in it, has had
games with uptimes of years with hundreds of users, so is quite mature
(and a bit messy). SkotOS developers will also have access to a Shared
common items library, where they can share some of the hundreds of
common items (clothes, etc.) that are used in Skotos games, and if
they like, share them back.

Par got a start on a pre-alpha SkotOS 2.0 that attempted to take
lessons learned from SkotOS 1.0 and start over clean. However, that
effort stalled when he joined Three Rings. But if he is willing I'm
also willing to share that very raw code.

If you are interested in being involved in helping us get it out
sooner, and are willing to sign a "contributors agreement" so we don't
run into any SCO-like problems, I'd be willing to let you in early.

-- Christopher Allen