[DGD] 64-bit platform question

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Mon Feb 22 02:08:53 CET 2010

bart at wotf.org wrote:

> Its one of the reasons why 64bit lpc ints would be useful to have, even with
> the availability of asn.
>
> I'd be glad to create a subproject for 64bit ints if someone wants to make a
> start on this.

I had already freed up two instructions for this.  Instruction 0 is
reserved for PUSH_INT8, and instruction 1 is for a big float.

Big floats gave me trouble.  LPC floats must be capable of representing
all integer values without loss of precision, but not so large that they
increase the size of the value struct.  80 bits would be ideal, but only
one platform has native support for those.

Currently floating point arithmetic is all simulated in C (so that DGD
also offers floats on platforms without hardware floating point), which
is reasonably efficient.  I don't consider this to be an option for a
much larger mantissa, though.

Regards,
Felix Croes